Please note: These could be the restrictions put in place by the managers of federal lands. However, individual areas may add restrictions, remove restrictions or change the exemptions based on conditions. For the most detailed, current restrictions and closures for the area you plan to visit, please contact the land manager in that area or visit the South Western Coordination Center website provided by a link on our main page.
STAGE II FIRE RESTRICTIONS
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or stove fire.
- Using fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices.
- Operating a chainsaw, or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, is prohibited.
- Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order.
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
- Possessing or using a motor vehicle off roads on federal lands, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
- Violating any state law, that specifically concerns burning, fires, or that which is for the purpose of preventing or restricting the spread of fire
There are a few, very specific exemptions from these prohibitions. Please contact the land manager for the area of interest, to see if you meet the criteria for an exemption.
Violations of these regulations is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months or both.